Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Warning: This Post has Nothing to do with Beaded Pillows

Once upon a time I was single. And idealistic. I had a very different career than I have now. I was a disc jockey. That's what we were called back then. Back when I was young. And thin. I was also the only woman on-the-air at most stations I worked. I put up with a lot of crap. I was under-paid and over-worked. A day off? Not likely. Sexual harassment. Most likely. But I loved being on the air. I loved the creativity of writing and producing commercials. I loved meeting the artists whose records (real records that played on turntables!) I played. I loved emceeing concerts and meeting fans at county fairs. I did not love the Good Ole Boys network. I don't know about now but it was alive and well back then. I  made less than the boys. It wasn't a secret. It wasn't even wrong. But I stuck with it for nearly 20 years. One day while reading the Reader's Digest, I found the following little gem. I cut the page out and kept it with me. I still have it to this day. Something got me to thinking of "Anyway" recently. It's a nice piece of anonymous writing to hang on to, take out and read every now and again. Perhaps you've seen this before. It says quite a bit about how I felt as a woman in broadcasting in the '80's. It's also a good reminder on how to live a better life no matter the obstacles or unfairness.

Anyway

People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you will gain false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.
The biggest people with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest people with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for some underdogs anyway.
What you spent years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.
Give the world the best you’ve got and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you’ve got anyway.

(Anonymous)

That's me circa 1980. Studios sure don't look like that anymore! (I don't look like that anymore!)
My years in radio have a lot to do with who I am today and that's a good thing. I have no regrets and many, many wonderful stories and memories. I am content in my craft room now....creating something very different than radio ads....but creating all the same.




8 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

What a great photo of you and what a cool job!

Della said...

Wow! I would have never guessed! That is a great pic of you, and I bet it was fun being around the music and radio biz.

I must have seen that in Reader's Digest as well...it sounds familiar.

The Beaded Pillow said...

I look at that picture and can't believe it's me. LOL I enjoyed radio but wouldn't go back....I don't think they'd have me. Ha ha.

susan hemann said...

What a great job you had. i remember well the days of inequality toward women and their pay. I saw that Anyway poem recently. So true. Love the picture of you and really enjoyed your history.

Unknown said...

Even though I don't know how you look but only by the little picture you have here, I can see the same fire still in you and the positive energy you exude. That girl there made you into the woman you are now and I lover her for it :D

DJ DigitaL said...

Very Very COOL!

Lisa Graham said...

This is such a great post Karen. I have seen this poem before...it' a good one.

The photo of you rocks!

Lizzie Barbie said...

Very nice to know more about you. I like the picture.